ONLINE COACH TRAINING MODULES
Hockey University (HU) is an online training component for officials and team staff (coaches, managers, safety persons) across the country. HU allows the Saskatchewan Hockey Association to provide quality learning with a standard delivery message in servicing our members, specifically team staff and officials. With the use of online education, volunteers in Saskatchewan (and across the country) will now receive a consistent and user friendly educational program accessible at the convenience of the user. Over the past several years there have been many requests to provide an online service for coach & officials training. Hockey Canada and the Saskatchewan Hockey Association are pleased to now offer this flexibility and convenience to our members. Online education will benefit our volunteers in a number of ways – bringing hockey education into the 21st Century!
Hockey University is accessed through Hockey Canada eHockey. EHockey is your portal to access the Hockey Canada Profile. Once you register into eHockey you can view all of your Coaching Qualifications, past or current teams you have been involved with either as a player or coach, Officiating Qualifications and you are able to register for Coaching Certification Clinics, Officiating Clinics and Coach Specialty Clinics. For simple directions download the following PDF - Hockey University Registering Directions.
Saskatchewan Hockey Association requires all NEW COACHES Initiation (IP) and Coach Stream candidates to complete the 4 hour online component PRIOR to registering and attending a 3.5 hour in-person clinic which includes a 90 minute ice session. Once the online HU Coach segment is completed coaches will then be eligible to register for Coach Stream face to face In-Class and On- Ice clinics – you only have to complete the HU segment once.
The Hockey Canada Safety Program is now completely online with no in-person clinic.
Once available, Hockey University – which includes IP, Coach Stream, Hockey Safety and Officials educational information, will be accessible through your eHockey accounts. The Hockey University program, which consists of 12 modules for coaching, 12 modules for officiating and 18 modules for safety, has been designed to allow individuals to complete modules at their convenience and the modules may be revisited at any time during the year. However, it is strongly encouraged to complete all of the HU modules immediately upon receiving your coaching position so that you may have the best chance to register in the clinic that is most convenient for you.
You must complete the HU segment before eHockey will allow you to register for a clinic.
Hockey University – Coaching Modules
- Module 1 – Introduction and Welcome
- Module 2 – So You Want to be a Coach
- Module 3 – Communication
- Module 4 – Leadership Module
- Module 5 – Who Am I Coaching?
- Module 6 – The Parent Meeting
- Module 7 – The Team Environment
- Module 8 – Preparing Practices
- Module 9 – Teaching Skills and Progressions
- Module 10 – It’s Game Day
- Module 11 – Skills, Drills and Thrills
- Module 12 – Keeping Players Safe
Hockey University – Safety Modules
- Module 1 – Purpose and Welcome
- Module 2 – Fair Play and Code of Ethics
- Module 3 – Risk Management
- Module 4 – Medical Information
- Module 5 – First Aid Kit
- Module 6 – Bullying, Harassment and Abuse
- Module 7 – Protective Equipment
- Module 8 – Hygiene
- Module 9 – Warm up and Stretching
- Module 10 – Emergency Action Plan
- Module 11 – Injury Recognition and Management Principles
- Module 12 – Spinal Injuries
- Module 13 – Concussions
- Module 14 – Injuries
- Module 15 – Medical Conditions
- Module 16 – Removing Player from Action
- Module 17 – Nutrition
- Module 18 – Performance Enhancements Substances
For more information please contact:
Senior Coordinator of Development Coaching
Saskatchewan Hockey Association
Tel (306) 789-5101