New Regulation – Mandatory Use of Helmets
To: SHA Minor Hockey Associations
From: Kelly McClintock, General Manager
Re: New Regulation – Mandatory Use of Helmets
July 2, 2019
Please be advised that the SHA Board of Directors, at their April Board of Directors Meeting, passed a Regulation that requires all registered Team Officials who are on the ice for any practice to wear a CSA helmet with the chin strap securely fastened.
This Regulation was forwarded to the membership with all other Regulations changes in May, however this memo is to highlight the initiative. The actual wording is as follows;
“For the safety of all participants, it is mandatory in all levels of Minor hockey within Saskatchewan that any registered Team Official (coach, assistant coach, trainer, manager, stick boy, etc.) guest coach or volunteer who is on the ice for any practice must wear a CSA approved helmet with the chin strap of the helmet securely fastened.”
Any team official, team and/or association found to be non-compliant with the SHA coach helmet regulation will be subject to sanctions from both the Minor Hockey Association and/or the SHA. Sanctions may include but are not limited to:
- Registered team officials may be suspended
- Minor Hockey Association (and members) not being able to enter SHA Provincial draws.
- Minor Hockey Association (and members) not being able to host any SHA sanctioned event
- Minor Hockey Association (and members) not being able to attend any SHA sanctioned event
- Minor Hockey Association’s SHA membership reviewed