Call for Bids: 2018 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan
TO: SHA Registered Minor Hockey Associations – Zone 4
FROM: Kelly McClintock, General Manager
RE: January 19-21, 2018 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan
On behalf of the SHA Board of Directors, I would like to advise Minor Hockey Associations within Zone 4 that the SHA will be accepting bids to host the 2018 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan on January 19-21, 2018. Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan was recently held in Shellbrook and the host committee raised over $175,000 for their arena project.
The following criteria will be used to select a community to serve as the host for the 2018 event:
- The Minor Hockey Association is a member in good standing with the SHA.
- A detailed Host Committee structure for the event is in place.
- A detailed agenda for a weekend of activities is included (see attached suggested agenda/activities for the event).
- If possible, all teams within Minor Hockey have an opportunity to be involved.
- The community has an action plan to build a new arena or renovate the existing arena.
- A proposed budget for the weekend.
- A local promotional plan.
The SHA will provide the following assistance to the host community;
- $5,000 Hosting Grant
- Local Poster Campaign promoting the host community
- Silent auction items
- Guest speaker or assist in obtaining a guest speaker
- Securing of teams for hockey games
This event proved to be a tremendous promotion over the course of the past ten years and the SHA sees this event getting larger and more popular each year.
Please submit your Bid to Host the 2018 Cameco Hockey Day in Saskatchewan event to the SHA Office by March 31st, 2017. A recommendation will be made to the SHA Board of Directors for approval at their meeting scheduled for the April 22-23 weekend.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
General Manager, SHA
Tips from the Host Committees for Hockey Weekend in Saskatchewan
- Begin Organizing six (6) months in advance.
- Composition of a Host Committee
- Minor Hockey Executive
- One parent from each Minor Team
- Representative from Town/Village and/or Arena
- Designated representative from Cameco
- Representative from Junior or Senior Hockey Team (If applicable)
- Representative from SHA
- Create Committees for the Following Activities:
- Banquet (Caterers; hall; tickets; decorations; set-up and take-down; Master of Ceremonies)
- Silent Auction (gather items for auction; prepare auction sheets; arrange for credit card machine; fax receipts; “pick-of-the-litter” draw)
- Raffle Table (Have one or two big ticket items donated for a raffle (Unity – 70 cc Quad and Gas BBQ); get donated early to get tickets sold early in hockey season with final draw during the weekend.
- Advertising (Program; Placemats for Banquet; Newspapers; radio – fax weekend schedule of events to local newspapers and radio – SHA will assist provincially and SHA Website.)
- Secretary (To keep notes/minutes on Committee meetings; reports; agendas; keep everyone updated with e-mails)
- Treasurer (Can be the Minor Hockey Treasurer; have floats available; receive and deposit all money; pay invoices; produce final financial statement)
- Additional Fundraisers For Weekend (Pancake Breakfast – have product donated; Celebrity Hockey Game; Cabaret; Chili & Bun Dinner; Hamburger Soup Dinner; Prize/Raffle Table – donated prizes)
- Additional Activities (Outdoor Rink; Horse Hay Rides; Hot Dog Roast; Road Hockey Tournament)
- Arena Canteen/Booth (Ensure they have extra supplies on hand for the weekend)
Suggested Agenda of Activities for Hockey Weekend in Saskatchewan
Friday, January 19, 2018
Social, Silent Auction (all raffles evening)
Banquet, Guest Speakers
Saturday, January 20, 2018
Minor Hockey Games
Two AAA Midget Games and a SJHL League Game
Sunday, January 21, 2018
Non-Denominational Church Service
Minor Hockey Games
Prairie Junior Hockey League Game (Junior B)
Senior Hockey League Game