November 2017 SHA Board of Directors Meeting – Summary
To: SHA Membership
From: Kelly McClintock, General Manager
RE: November 2017 SHA Board of Directors Meeting – Summary
November 29th, 2017 - The SHA Board of Directors held a meeting on November 4, 2017 in Saskatoon.
The following Board Members were not present;
Tim Bear, Poor Weather and Road Conditions
Brad Robinson, Vehicle Problems
Randy Magnus, Personal
Len Thomas, Personal
The highlights of the meeting were as follows;
- Hockey Canada Items
- Reviewed Proposed Hockey Canada Playing Rule Amendments that will be discussed at the upcoming Hockey Canada AGM
- Canadian Development Model Survey about Bantam Hockey/Sport Schools
- Creation of a Branch Liaison Position within Hockey Canada
- Transition within the Hockey Canada Governance Structure from Councils to Task Teams
- Hockey Canada Gala in Saskatoon produced a total net profit of $666,177
- SHA conducting Elite Goaltender Clinics as a Pilot Project with Hockey Canada
- The South and North Sask Female League winners of Bantam A, Midget A and Midget AA Divisions will playoff for the Provincial Championship
- The Sask Hockey Hall of Fame Induction dinner for 2018 will take place in Swift Current, July 7, 2018
- The Board of Directors reviewed and discussed four proposals from the Saskatoon Comets, Regina Female Committee, Lumsden/Bethune Minor Hockey and Prairie Storm Minor Hockey, to delay the decision to deem Regina and Saskatoon geographic subdivision boundaries for the 2018/19 season for Female Hockey and to create a committee to address the situation. The Board decided to maintain the decision made in April 2017 and the current “AA/AAA” Committee which includes representatives from Regina, Saskatoon, the Sask Midget AAA Female League and the North and South Female Hockey Leagues are addressing both male and female models in the province and expect recommendations to be made to the membership in the new year.
- The Board of Directors reviewed feedback from the Zone Meetings held to date.
- The Board of Directors is reviewing and amending their Code of Conduct Policy
- The Board of Directors are reviewing the Associations Governance Structure
- “AA/AAA” Committee has preliminary reviewed the following topics and these were presented in Zone Meetings around the province for feedback;
- SHA Model and Creation of Divisional Value Statements
- Creation of one Male Saskatchewan AA Hockey League
- Creation of a Female Development Model for Female Midget and Bantam including a review of the number of Midget AAA teams; combining of the North and South Sask Female Leagues into one Executive Body with north and south divisions
- Review of the number of teams at the Male Midget AAA level
- Withdrawing from the Western Bantam Championships to extend the season of the Provincial Bantam League into April, with seasonal breaks an opposed to condensing the season and having teams completed their season on or about February 10th.