Novice Half Ice Events
What is a Novice Half Ice Event?
The Saskatchewan Hockey Association, aligning with Hockey Canada's Long-Term Athlete/Player Development Model (LTPD), released a new program called Novice Half Ice Hockey. Novice Half Ice Hockey Events are a half day event that consists of four Novice teams developing their skills in various skill stations as well as a chance to play Half-Ice Games.
Basic Rules of Half Ice Games
- Full-size nets will be used
- 3-minute warmup. (Home Team will use the game zone and the visiting team will use the skills zone)
- The half-ice game will be played 5 on 5 (skaters) and 1 goalie from each Team or both Teams may alter the format, 4 on 4 or 3 on 3, if the number of players on one or both teams is less than 10 skaters.
- Games are 2 x 24-minute periods. (Teams will switch ends after the first period)
- Players benches will not be used. Those players not participating in the half-ice game zone will be in the half-ice skills zone working with their coaches until the buzzer sounds and there is a line change which signals their turn to enter the game zone.
- Officials will draw a dot in the middle of the game zone for all face-offs. Its is the responsiblity of the home team to provide bingo dabbers for drawing face-off dots, NOT the official.
- Shift are 2 minutes, running time continuous play. (See below)
- Buzzer sounds once at the end of each 2-minute shift; however, the clock continues to run.
- There are no icing or off-side calls.
- Score will be kept; however, goals and assists will NOT be recorded.
- Goalies may not be pulled at any time.
- Line matching must take place. The more advanced players from each team being matched against the more advanced players from the opposing team.
2019-20 Half-Ice Events Schedule
Below is a list of the Novice Half-Ice Events happening across the province this 2019-20 season.
|October 26th||Oxbow, SK|
|November 3rd||Gull Lake, SK|
|November 17th||Elrose, SK|
|November 23rd||St. Walburg, SK|
For more information on hosting a Half-Ice Event, please contact:
Senior Coordinator, Hockey Development
Saskatchewan Hockey Association
Tel (306) 789-5101