HOCKEY CANADA'S NATIONAL INSURANCE PROGRAM
The Insurance Program must ensure that adequate financial resources are in place to compensate those who are injured or who have suffered a financial loss as the result of their involvement in hockey. It involves good financial management, so that funds are in place to meet claim obligations when they fall due. It also includes establishing control mechanisms so that only genuine claims are reimbursed.
Insurance is one important method of handling claims, but only when it is practical, possible and cost-effective. Ironically, insurance is not available to cover many hockey-related risk exposures, as many times the desired coverage is simply unaffordable.
Hockey Canada has constructed a National Insurance Program to provide financial resources to help deal with the cost of risks which confront organized hockey.
Hockey Canada and each of the Branches of which Hockey Canada is comprised is specifically named as an insured, and all sub-associations, leagues and teams which form a part of Hockey Canada. It includes any officer, director, employee, coach, volunteer worker, instructor, referee or member of a Committee while acting within the scope of his or her duties. It includes members of any teams, leagues, Branch teams, division teams, national teams or international teams provided all are registered with or affiliated with Hockey Canada.
HOW TO MAKE AN INSURANCE CLAIM
- Secure a Hockey Canada Injury Report Form from your team or your league. In the event that there are none available, contact your local Minor Hockey Association, Senior/Junior Team or go to www.sha.sk.ca under the Risk Management Tab.
- Complete the form in its entirety (especially the health insurance portion at the bottom of the page) or it will not be processed. Have your team official complete the team section and your Doctor/Dentist complete the back of the form.
- Submit the fully completed form to the SHA Office within ninety (90) days of the incident. You have one year from the incident to submit receipts and/or invoices in order to receive your payment.
- Only original receipts and/or invoices are acceptable.
**Hockey Canada is strictly a supplemental insurer. If you have access to any other insurance, you must pursue it through them first. Hockey Canada shall cover those costs not covered by your primary insurance to its policy limits.**
- Claims will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to process by the Hockey Canada office in Ottawa. All payments will be made from the Ottawa office (not SHA).
For more information please contact:
Saskatchewan Hockey Association
Tel (306) 789-5101